The following content is sponsored by Boston Market, but all opinions and ideas expressed are my own.
Can life slow down for just a second? Who am I kidding – this is just the beginning of busy life with teenagers and pre-teens! Our evenings are busier than ever, and some evenings there’s just not time to cook. Most of the other nights, I have limited time to throw something together and get the kids fed before soccer practice. With a hot Boston Market Family Meal deal right now, I’m going to show you how to use the leftover $1.99 whole rotisserie chicken, to make an easy chicken and rice soup. That’s two meals in a breeze.
Aside from the convenience of a drive thru meal when you’re pressed for time, I love that Boston Market serves more of a home cooked meal than other fast food restaurants. Take advantage of their never frozen rotisserie chicken, roasted turkey, bbq ribs or home style meatloaf! Then you’ve got delicious mashed potatoes, mixed veggies, cornbread, sweet potatoes and so much more to choose from for your sides.
Boston Market is inspiring busy parents to make the back-to-routine transition a little easier on the entire family. They’re there to help get a wholesome dinner on the table fast and to provide the family with multiple meals throughout the week, all while saving money!
Right now, when you purchase any Family Meal Deal at Boston Market, you can add a whole rotisserie chicken for only $1.99. Use the family meal deal for dinner number 1 and then the rotisserie chicken makes for excellent leftovers. Use it throughout the week to create tasty school lunches. Then when you think the chicken is almost gone, turn it into this yummy chicken and rice soup.
- 1 leftover rotisserie chicken (not picked totally clean)
- 12 cups water
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 celery ribs with leaves - chopped
- 3 chopped carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Chicken picked from carcass
- 1 diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ribs sliced celery
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup raw rice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Stock: Break up the carcass, remove skin, and place in a large stock pot. Add the 12 cups of water, all the chopped vegetables and spices listed in the "stock" list. Bring to a boil, then let simmer for about 2 hours, until the chicken meat separates from the bones. Take the pot off the heat, and remove all the turkey parts. Place on a cookie sheet to cool for easy handling. After the meat has cooled enough to handle, remove all the chunks of meat, and toss out all the remaining bones and skin. Chop meat.
- Strain the broth into a large bowl, and throw away all the vegetables. Let the strained broth cool enough to skim the fat from the top - depending on how de-fatted you desire. Return the broth to the stock pot.
- Soup: Now add all the fresh vegetables from the "soup" list. If you want to substitute potatoes for the rice - go for it.
- Simmer for 1 hour until rice is done and veggies are tender.
- This makes enough for a large family, with enough to freeze for later, or enjoy for lunch the next day.