At the turn of every year, people start planning out their year and setting goals. Have you ever considered your pet could be in need of some much needed changes, too? Why not take this time to not only make goals for yourself this year, but also consider these 5 New Year’s resolutions for your pet. Whether you have a dog or cat (a dog is our family pet of choice), these goals will work for either.
1) Exercise your pet. Taking your dog for a walk is good for your dog, and for you to keep active. Some other ideas include:
- Going to the park and playing fetch
- Set up an obstacle course
- Run up and down the stairs together
2) Measure your pet’s food. I’ve gotten in the habit of eyeballing the amount of food we give Lucy. My dog doesn’t have a tendency to overeat, but many pets do. Read the instructions on the bag of food, to ensure your pet is getting the correct amount. You don’t want to lead your dog or cat to excessive weight gain.
3) Make annual regular vet checkups. Oftentimes we assume our animals are just fine by the way they act, but it doesn’t hurt to get them their regular checkups with the veterinarian. That’s what they’re there for and could help catch anything we might not notice.
4) Daily grooming. I’m most excited for this goal, and I think Lucy is too. She loves to be brushed and we don’t do it nearly often enough. Our dog is a snuggle bug and I’ve challenged the kids to use some of their snuggle time grooming Lucy. This promotes good bonding time, but also removes excess fur from the coat, which helps with shedding. Brushing also distributes oils from the skin to the fur, keeping the coat shiny and healthy.
5) Make pet cleanup a breeze with my favorite Swiffer products.
- The Swiffer Sweeper is a 2-in-1 hard surface sweeping and mopping tool. The dry cloth has deep ridges and grooves that conform to the surface of your floor to trap and lock dirt, dust and hair, while the wet cloth dissolves dirt and grime and traps it away, giving you an amazing clean. This is great for picking up hair after your grooming dates, and any shedding that may occur.
- The Swiffer Sweep+Vac does everything the sweeper does, but also has a small vacuum attached, to pick up slightly larger pieces. Depending on the size of your dog food, this could be great for cleaning up after your messy eater.
- Lastly, the Swiffer Wet Jet. This all-in-one system cleans floors thoroughly using cleaning solutions specially formulated to break up and dissolve tough messes. There are solutions good for hard wood floors, or other types of floors.
Make this year a great one for you and your pets. Work on getting healthier and saving time cleaning, so you can spend more time loving on your pup and cat.