There is something so delicious about roasting root veggies. Everyone loves potatoes, right? Well, I’ve always been one of those odd ducks who not only loves potatoes and carrots, but some of the less popular root vegetables, such as beets. I’ve paired beets and sweet potatoes before, but I finally decided I needed to marry beets with my favorite potatoes by Tasteful Selections. My Roasted Potatoes and Beets have made a beet believer out of my husband!!
While most of us probably love potatoes, I’ll bet there are only a few of us who enjoy scrubbing, peeling, and chopping said potatoes. As you can see in this recipe, the only chopping is to do with the beets and onion! Tasteful Selections potatoes are pre-washed and grow bite-sized. The skins are tender and don’t require any peeling. They really are the perfect potato for so many recipes!!
For color and variety I combined a bag of Tasteful Selections Sunrise Medley potatoes with half a bag of Honey Gold potatoes. You could probably add a full bag of Honey Gold potatoes, but I thought a single layer in the 9×13 casserole dish would create the most optimal cooking. I just think the combination of colors are so pretty, not to mention taste amazing!
Now here is what I did with my roasted potatoes and beets. I got them cooked and hot, and served them up with pulled pork I’d had cooking in the slow cooker all day. Pair with a green salad or some fruit, and you’ve got a complete meal. However, if you are a fan of potato salad and other cold salads, I think this dish could very well be served cold. In the heat of summer, cold salad isn’t a bad idea. Serve it cold now and hot through fall and winter, and it’ll be like you’ve got two different dishes!
- 2 red beets, peeled and chopped into bit-sized pieces
- 1 bag Tasteful Selections Sunrise Medley Potatoes
- 1/2 bag Tasteful Selections Honey Gold Potatoes
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 Tbs olive oil, divided
- 2 Tbs balsamic vinegar, divided
- 2 tsp dried ginger, divided
- 1 tsp chili pepper flakes, optional
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place chopped beets in an 8x8 casserole dish, and potatoes in a 9x13 casserole dish. They need to cook separately so colors don't bleed.
- To the beets, add 1 Tbs olive oil, 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp dried ginger, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss to coat.
- To the potatoes, add onion, 2 Tbs olive oil, 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp dried ginger, chili pepper flakes, and salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Cover dishes with foil and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until veggies are fork tender.
- Add cooked beets to potatoes and toss. Serve warm or chilled.