Get the kids crafting for Memorial Day or the 4th of July with these easy Patriotic Tin Can Windsocks.
For some holidays, the stores are crowded with decorations, but for others you need to use your creativity and crafting skills to do the holiday justice. The 4th of July is one of those holidays. I think we really owe it to ourselves and to our country to get crafting in red, white and blue, and show our pride for the USA. These easy Patriotic Tin Can Windsocks are a great craft to get the kids in on the spirit of the holiday.
Display your patriotic windsocks all summer, so the kids can be proud of their work – and their country!
Here’s what you need:
- 3 no. 10 cans, such as nacho cheese cans
- Red, white and blue craft paint
- Star stencil, if desired
- Heavy-duty string
- Nail and hammer
- Hot glue gun and hot glue
- Red, white and blue ribbons
- Make sure the cans are free from labels or glue. Paint each can a different color – one red, one white and one blue. You will likely need a second or third coat to get a good color.
- When the blue paint has dried, freehand some white stars or use a stencil and white paint. Allow the cans to dry completely.
- Using a nail and hammer, punch three small holes into the bottom of each can. Space them out to form a triangle.
- Thread the string through each hole, tying a knot on the inside of the can to keep the string from slipping out of the hole. The length of the string will vary depending on where you want to hang the windsocks and how high you want them from the ground. The strings on mine are about 2½ feet long.
- Cut each of your ribbons the exact same length; I chose 2 feet for each of mine. Hot glue each ribbon just inside the top edge of each can. You can space the ribbons about an inch apart and vary the colors to your liking.
- Find a sturdy high place to hang your windsocks! Bring all three strings together, tie them and hang them from a hook.
Mom or Dad should wield the hammer to punch the holes in the cans. Closely supervise small children as they work on this craft.
This content was created in partnership with Kroger Family Stores using free products provided by Kroger.