How to Cook a Turkey in an Oven Bag

CB-sponsored-post-white-script-400 How to Cook a Turkey in an Oven Bag and get a super moist turkey with an excellent seasoning blend.

It’s the bird we have to tackle at least once a year – the Thanksgiving Turkey! There are so many ways to cook a turkey, and every year many people have the debate as to which way is the best. I don’t know if there is really one best way, as they all produce different results for different tastes. If you want your turkey fried and breaded, that’s one way to do it, but may not be for everyone. Let’s say you’ve decided on cooking your turkey in the oven. What next? Do you use a foil tent, an oven bag, or nothing at all? So many questions and a variety of answers, but one thing I think we can all agree on is that we want a MOIST turkey. Am I right?

Click to have my Top 5 recipes sent to you!

I have had many dry turkeys over the years, and with the time and effort that goes into Thanksgiving meal, nobody wants to be disappointed with that bird, on that day! While I was at cooking school for Reynolds Wrap°, I cooked my first turkey using an oven bag. While you don’t get a nice crispy skin, it produces such a moist turkey. I couldn’t believe it! So, I thought I would help you out with your Thanksgiving Turkey by showing you how to cook a turkey in an oven bag. Thanksgiving Turkey: How to Cook a Turkey in an Oven Bag
We know you want a moist turkey, right? What about a well-seasoned turkey? Seasoning your turkey is super important. There are so many ways to season your turkey, but I find this mix of herbs to be quite tasty

Thanksgiving Turkey: How to Cook a Turkey in an Oven Bag #FreshFinds #shop

If you want to know the great mix of herbs that I use, CLICK HERE and I’ll send the mix right over to your email!

Now for the instructions on how to cook your turkey in an oven bag, click on over to the next page.

Click to get the recipe

Comments

1. says

Your turkey looks amazing and I really do want to try cooking it in a bag. That sale would be great because I could cook the one I normally do (covered in bacon and butter) and then one in a bag to offer both variations to my family. Thanks for posting such a fun recipe–it looks delicious!

2. Bonnie says

I have 2 questions for you. Are there enough drippings to make a gravy and what are baking times for a breast?

3. says

So many drippings Bonnie! I love that about preparing the turkey this way! As for baking times for a breast, I will ask Reynolds and get back to you on that!

4. Anita Sharp says

I haven’t done a turkey this way, and it intrigues me!! Why do you put the flour into the oven bag?? Can you use the oven bags if you cook your turkey in an electric roaster? I usually do mine in a roaster, so I can use the oven for the side dishes.

5. Anita Sharp says

I haven’t prepared a turkey like this, and it is interesting. Question- Why do you put flour into the oven bag? And can you use an oven bag with an electric roaster? I usually cook my turkey in a roaster so my oven is free to bake the side dishes. Thanks!

6. Laura says

I think the turkeys are great in the bag, I’m going to spray it this time. As it did stick to bag using flour. I’m also going to remove bag at least from top of turkey a half hour before done cooking to brown it.

7. Amy Al says

I use a bag every year! Love doing it this way no way to mess it up plus it doesn’t take it as long!

8. Clara says

This is how my mom always did it! This year is my first time hosting… can you stuff the turkey using this method?

9. Patty says

My concern is the cooking time. I have a 24 lb bird and it’s saying 3-3.5 hrs u stuffed. If I cook it out of the bag I’d be more at 5 hours for this size bird. I need to know that 3.5 hours will do it. Thanks

10. Carol says

I tried this once and there was so much juice in the bottom of the bag that it wasn’t browned at all, just mealy white skin halfway up the turkey. How can I prevent that.

11. Kristine Nau says

I need to know if I can use a oven bag to cook a turkey in a electric roaster pan. I have always used turkey bags in an oven but need to cook three this year for a large dinner and only have space for two turkeys in an oven. The other one needs to be cooked in a roaster pan.

12. says

HI Kristine, Unfortunately you cannot use the oven bags in an electric roaster. The same principal applies as if you were to put a plastic bag in a toaster oven – just wouldn’t work. Might you be able to use a neighbor or friend’s oven for your third turkey? You are going to be one busy cook. Happy eating!

13. darissa says

Hi Kristine and Emily – I was looking at this recipe with all the great seasonings and I am going to try this! Thanks for the recipe! But not to contradict what Emily says, but I’ve cooked my turkeys in the electric roaster for 20 years, and have always used a bag. I just make sure the bag doesn’t touch the side/top/lid of the electric roaster. I tie it tight. I still use the flour in the bag, and vent it with holes. I place my turkey in a disposable pan, than place it in the electric roaster. Good Luck! tip – I make sure I buy a small enough turkey to fit in my roaster, so that I do have plenty of space so the bag doesn’t touch the roaster. Turns out so juicy! Here is a link about it

Happy Thanksgiving!

14. says

No worries at all Darissa! I’m glad you haven’t had a problem with it thus far. Just because there can be complications, they take precautions so turkeys don’t get ruined or contaminated.

15. Cindy says

I also brine my 20 lb turkey for 18 hrs , wash it dry it fresh herbs and butter under the skin , butter and season on the outside , I love using the roasting bag , but since the skin isn’t going to crispy , I lay mine breast side down , and I don’t have to touch it until the roasting time is over , and I leave it rest for 20 minutes ,,, it falls off the bone , is super moist , and the leftovers stay just as moist also , everybody the has had my turkey loves it , and it’s easier then you think , and the clean up doesn’t take long because of the roasting bag ,,,