Pumpkin Poppers

Pumpkin Poppers

The people voted and Pumpkin Poppers won for this week’s Pinterest Challenge. The Tartiflette got a lot of votes too, so be expecting a post on that later this week. The Pumpkin Poppers were seriously super tasty, and no Autumn should pass by without you giving them a try. This recipe originally comes from Domestically Speaking. I really think the Pumpkin Poppers are simple to make and would be difficult to screw up. I even let my little girl help me make them.

One sad thing though, after Little Girl ate her Pumpkin Popper, we discovered that she just may have a cinnamon allergy. How sad is that? She has always had sensitive skin, and when she was really little, she would get a red rash around her mouth, after eating certain foods. We couldn’t ever figure out what ingredient was causing it, but perhaps it has been cinnamon all along! Do you think they put cinnamon in baby food? The Pumpkin Poppers are coated in sugar and cinnamon, which would be easy to get on your face while eating, so it’s got to be one of the two.

Back to these amazing Pumpkin Poppers. The steps are simple to follow, but please let me know if you have any questions. I’m thinking these are more of a breakfast item, but what the heck – you could serve them anytime!

Weekly Pinterest Challenge: Pumpkin Poppers
  • 1/2 tsp allspice
  • 1/8 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup pumpkin (fresh or canned, but not pumpkin pie filling)
  • 1/2 cup low-fat milk
  • For Coating
  • 1 stick of unsalted butter, melted (I only had salted on hand, and it worked just fine)
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 Tbs cinnamon
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350° and spray your mini muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. Combine all the dry ingredients in one bowl and whisk till combined.
  3. In another bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients (oil, brown sugar, egg, vanilla, pumpkin and milk).
  4. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until just combined (do not overmix).
  5. Using a cookie scoop, fill mini muffin tins until almost full. There should be plenty of batter to do this.
  6. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
  7. While Poppers are baking, melt butter.
  8. In a small bowl combine your sugar and cinnamon.
  9. Let the poppers cool for a few minutes before rolling them around in the melted butter and then plunging them into their cinnamon sugar bath.
  10. Enjoy!

Be sure to come back later in the week to nominate next week’s Pinterest Challenge!

Did you enjoy this recipe? Be sure to check out my other recipes and subscribe to a daily email from me, with the posts for each day.

Comments

1. Linda B says

These look wonderful but how do you pin them to pinterest, I don’t see the symbol and it will not let me copy from FB.
    Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

2. Karen R says

They look so yummy! I think they would be easy enough for me to make. Too bad about your dd allergy.

3. Christina says

How old is your daughter?

Yes some baby foods do have cinnamon in them. My daughter had either a cinnamon allergy or sensitivity when she was little. She would break out around her mouth.. or anywhere on her face/chest that the cinnamon touched. She had a lot of reactions like that to foods too. She does have extremely sensitive skin and eczema. She’s had allergy testing done a few times and it has only ever shown she’s allergic to cats – we have had cats since she was born and she has NEVER had any type of reaction to them (I am also allergic to cats, but thankfully its not too severe and only have reactions from time to time). She has some allergies that the allergies insists she has although she’s never tested positive to them, he just told us to avoid those foods for now since he doesn’t want to any of the other testing at this point (she has epilepsy also and has been through a lot with that, he doesn’t want to put her through more if we can control things this way for now).

Anyway lol so we can’t be sure if it was a true allergy or just some sort of sensitivity, but she has now outgrown it and can eat cinnamon again.

4. says

Christina, my daughter is 3. It isn’t a severe allergy – just one that makes her a little rashy around her mouth, where the food touches. I’m glad to finally know what is causing it, unless there is a second food item. We hadn’t seen it in a while, so that’s a good thing. Hopefully she will outgrow it, but honestly, as she gets older and doesn’t get food on her face, we may never know. ;-)

5. says

Emily, my daughter had the same red irritation as soon as she started baby food. We narrowed our issue down to citric acid which can be found in everything from food to shampoo, we eliminated it and she cleared now at age 5 we reintroduce some things back to her diet and when she flares we eliminate it again.

6. Liz says

Cant wait to try these! I have the same reaction to cinnamon and cinnamon gum which stinks because i love it! If its mixed in with something i am ok but direct contact leaves blisters in my mouth. I had allergy testing when i was young and they said dust mites…i also have psoriasis and react badly to nickel jewelry. Strange!

7. Sarah says

For the 3/4 pumpkin – does this mean 3/4 cup of pumpkin? Or 3/4 of a can of pumpkin? Or 3/4 of a fresh pumpkin?
    Thank you! I can’t wait to try this recipe!

8. Sarah says

Ok! I just made them. SO GOOD! I accidentally added too much allspice and had to try to scoop some of it out but wow! They turned out lovely! I had a lot of batter so I filled the muffin cups up to the brim. Took a few extra minutes in the oven (about 15) and they puffed up beautifully! And delicious!
    I will definitely be making these again!

9. Beth says

Just made these this morning. Glad I doubled the recipe for the group 17 because they disappeared! Delicious and moist. Wouldn’t change a thing. If you want less sugar, just butter the top and dust with cinnamon sugar. Definitely a keeper!

10. Debby Lowe says

Does anyone know how long these will store for? If I want to store them for a few days should I skip the butter part and wait til I serve?

11. says

They were so good that we didn’t store them long at all. You may be able to freeze them. I wouldn’t leave them out for more than 3 days, but they may keep in the refrigerator longer. If you want to do the butter step later, you may want to heat them slightly before completing that step.

12. says

These freeze very well. They are great for when company comes or a afternoon tea. Just pop them in your mouth. Mmmm! Thank you. I think I will feature them in a fall post if you don’t mind.

13. Debbie Coleman says

Please should add to the directions that this is a mini muffin pan. The picture clarifies it but the recipe, when printed, would be vague. PS These are a big hit!

14. Madison says

These looks delicious! I don’t have a mini muffin pan, do you think a cake pop pan would work instead??

15. GingerChartier says

Oh my goodness! There were super easy and soooo good! Love that they are baked and not fried. Thank you for sharing these with us.

16. Emilee says

Just made these – tasty!! I used whole wheat flour and they turned out great and didn’t need any more cooking time than suggested. They were great for a couple of guys just getting off the roof on a cold & rainy morning!!

17. Stephanie says

I have to add, my daughter (and son, I discovered today), both have the same sensitivity to cinnamon, my daughter had it with mayo as well. It’s very common, and my daughter outgrew it. Our doctor said it was still okay to give it to her!

18. maya says

I just made these…they were SO GOOD. I used 1 tablespoon of oil and 1 cup of pumpkin. and instead of rolling them in butter, i just dipped the bottoms of them in cinnamon and sugar. THEY ARE SO GOOD!!!

19. Fee (Phyllis) Roberts says

These look so good. My daughter loves pumpkin so I might add this to my goodie bags for Christmas =D

20. Jennifer T says

I finally had the opportunity to make these & they were a HUGE hit with all 4 of our kids! I used cushaw, because that’s what I had on hand & it substituted well.

21. Joni says

Regarding the cinnamon allergy: I bf’d my son and he spit up quite a bit until he was 9 months old. Usually not terrible, but there were times that he would literally lose an entire meal instantly after nursing. It took me a long time but I finally figured out that it was because of me eating cinnamon (pumpkin pie, cinnamon rolls, etc)!! Once he started eating solids, if he ate anything with cinnamon he threw up instantly. So we had to be very careful. Another girl in his daycare was also allergic to it but it only caused her to get a rash around her mouth. My son is 2 now and thankfully has outgrown it! I think it’s a rare allergy but it’s such a spicy seasoning that I can definitely see why it can cause such a horrible reaction.

22. Melanie says

I just made these and they are as wonderful as they look in the picture. Fabulous, I give them 5 stars.

23. Stacy says

I made these tonight. They were great except my DH said there was too much spice. I will definitely make again but, skip the cinnamon and clove in the dry mix, since it’s covered with cinnamon sugar at the end! :-)

Trackbacks