How to Freshen Your Mattress, and Ban Those Dust Mites

How to Freshen Your Mattress and Ban Dust Mites! Your bed deserves this easy cleaning tip, and so do you!

Ready to find out How to Freshen Your Mattress and Ban Dust Mites?

Does the thought of microscopic critters living on your mattress conjure up the gag reflex in you? It does me. I don’t even want to think about it, but it’s a fact of human existence. Dust mites live in the dust particles around your home. They feed on the dead skin humans shed daily. One of their favorite places to live is on your bedding, including fabric of your mattress. Washing your bed sheets weekly is the recommended way to control dust mites. I recently read that you can even go every two weeks, but 3 weeks is the max!

Now, every few months or more often, if you’re creeped out about dust mites living where you sleep, you should freshen up your mattress. Strip off those sheets and mattress pad, wash them in hot water, and while this is going on, get ready to attack those mighty mites.

Want to know what you need to attack those dust mites and freshen your mattress? Click over to the next page.

Click to the next page

Comments

1. says

Thanks for the great tip. I love this idea.
    I have but one suggestion, could you add a note somewhere that says my fiance should be the one doing this particular chore?

2. says

thanks for the reminder of the benefits of baking soda. i know there are all kinds of things you can use baking soda for – but i didnt know about this one

3. says

I’ll have to try this. I’m sure my mattress could use some freshening up. Plus I am allergic to dust mites. My doctor recommended washing my sheets in hot water once a week. I also have a dust mite barrier that goes over the mattress. It was explained to me that dust mites need damp, dark, dusty places to live, so they are inside the mattress and your pillows, not on the surface. But vacuuming can’t hurt.

4. Diane says

I haven’t done this but I do vacuum my mattress and after I dome. that I lightly spray it with Febreeze. Works the sa

5. Susan says

It sounds quite good but you need a really good vacuum to remove dustmites. A normal vacuum blows the tiny particles (aka mites) just back into the air.

6. Marquita says

This is an awesome tip. Thank you so much. What is essential oils? Where do you get them?

7. Annie Savidge says

When I was a kid, living in California, near the beach, sand fleas were a real problem. My mom used to keep eucalyptus branches under our beds to deter them. If you have problems with, fleas, I can see the eucalyptus oil in the mix as the perfect solution for keeping them out of your bed. I think I’d also make sure it gets in the dog’s bather water as well!

8. Miranda says

Great idea! I use a similar mix for a DIY carpet powder freshener.
    A tip for application – put the baking soda/EO mixture in an empty (sterilized of course) parmesan cheese dispenser, or poke some holes in the top of a mason jar and the sprinkling goes on way easier! :)

9. Rachel Lewter says

I’ve used baking soda before, but never thought of adding essential oils. Certainly on my list for this weekend.
    Thanks for sharing.