Homemade Plum Syrup Recipe

Plum Syrup Recipe

I grew up with a plum tree right outside my bedroom window. As a kid, I remember making homemade Plum Jams and Jellies with, and for my mom. It has become my favorite jam to serve on sandwiches, breads, rolls, etc. Over the years, my mom has come up with a homemade Plum Syrup recipe that we absolutely love to have with pancakes, waffles, ice cream and all sorts of things! It is truly easy to make, and such a treat. I was shocked when mom showed me how easy it is to make, so don’t be scared to give it a try!

Homemade Plum Syrup Recipe
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 20 mins
  • 2 cups plum juice
  • 1/2 cup light Karo syrup
  • 2-3 cups sugar (depending on your desire for tartness – I use 2 cups)
  1. In a saucepan, mix all ingredients together and bring to a gentle boil. Stir constantly to make sure the sugar is dissolved.
  2. Bring to a rolling boil, but be sure to keep a close eye on it, so it doesn’t boil over. Otherwise it will be a super sticky mess.
  3. Pour into pint jars, leaving 1/2″ headspace and seal with lids and rings.

This image is the pot/system we use for juicing the plums. If you don’t have a system like this, here are the basic instructions for juicing plums.

Cut plums in half and take the pit out. Then roughly chop and put in a saucepan with water. Fill the saucepan about halfway with water. Cook until the plums start to fall apart. Strain the juice.

1. jodi says

hi, I’m wondering what the shelf life for this is? Do you need to put pectin in it?

2. Dana says

How long do you process your syrup. pints as well as quarts? We have a plum tree and I am trying ways to preserve them. Thanks

3. says

Well, we used the steam canner, and it processed for about 15 min, once steam starts to spout. Steam canning isn’t recommended these days, so you just need to look at the directions of a water bath canner and do the same as plum jelly. No pectin is needed. We aren’t positive on shelf life, but recently used some that was 3 years old, and it was just fine.

4. Sue says

VERY excited to have found this….will be making tonight! Thanks soooo much is just what I was looking for!

5. says

6. Brigid says

Thanks for the recipe, just purchased a juicer like the one you pictured only stanless steel and did some plums from my daughters tree and I love the juicer system, so much easier!

7. Jessica says

Thanks so much! I am from Utah and was looking for a recipe for Plum Syrup. So excited to try this tomorrow (just juiced our plums tonight). Thanks so much, I enjoyed your blog!

8. says

I am also from Utah and have my juice all ready to go. I know the process time changes based on elevation. Jessica did you just do the 10/15 minutes as mentioned above? Emily do you live in Utah as well? Just don’t want to have it in the bath longer than needed. Thanks!

9. karen says

hi, I just finished a double batch of this recipe and it has a wonderful flavor. if I want it to be thicker what would I do.. add more karo syrup? how long was I suppose to keep it at a rolling boil? I wing a lot of recipes and most of the time they come out alright. I was kind of curious as to what I am suppose to be looking for along the way in the process. should I have made just one batch at a time like they say with jellies? this was fun and my family will love it. thanks karen

10. says

You don’t need to boil for any length of time. You are only boiling to dissolve all the sugar. Syrup should thicken as it cools. Ours is usually sufficiently thick. The original recipe calls for 3 cups, but my mom often uses 2 cups and it turns out just fine. This recipe doesn’t make a thick syrup like Karo though.

11. laura says

Hi, Do you have to sterilize the pint jars? I’ve never made jams or syrups before and I have this image of boiling and sterilizing jars in my head…

12. Terry says

do you juice the plums with pits still in ?? I’ve got a juicer and that would make it soooo much easier..

13. Cindy says

Hi I was wondering if I puree the plums in the nutri bullet–would that work? Would I use the same 2 cups amount? Thanks