How to Cook Corn on the Cob for Large Crowds: Cooler Corn!

Cooler Corn - Cooking Corn On The Cob in a Cooler

How to Cook Corn on the Cob for Large Crowds: Cooler Corn

I saw one of the most amazing and baffling cooking tips ever, on Pinterest last Fall. I couldn’t wait until corn season returned, so I could give this idea of “Cooler Corn” a try. If you have ever wondered how to cook corn on the cob for large crowds, this is THE WAY! I had a difficult time tracking down the originator of this particular pin, but I believe it came from Bon Appetit.

Cooking corn on the cob for a big crowd, using a pot and water, can take a long time, or use up a lot of pots. By using a cooler (aka Ice Chest), you can cook a boatload of corn at once. Give your cooler a good wash and scrub, then lay out your corn on the cob. Poor two kettles, or pots, of boiling water over your corn. Close the lid of the cooler and let your corn sit for about 30 minutes. Voila!! We gave it a try over Mother’s Day weekend, and it worked perfectly! The corn should be able to sit and remain a good temperature, for a couple of hours.

Comments

1. Love corn! Thanks!

2. CRSmith says:

This is a great idea! We are always cooking for an “army” around here. I will try this soon. Thanks!

3. Cathy Stesney says:

Wow, now that’s something I never would have thought of! Thank you- I can use this tip for Memorial Day!!

4. I’m hungry already!! :)

5. Katya Campos says:

just started to learn how to cook!! thanks for this awesome tip

6. nicole sellers says:

This seems like a fantastic idea!!!

7. Lori Thomas says:

Yum thanks for the easy idea!!!! You rock Clever Housewife

8. Thanks for posting this , I am going to try it this it weekend!!!

9. heather says:

This is an awesome idea!!

10. Allison Solseth says:

This is very interesting… sure would be handy when you have a lot of people to serve!

11. That is an awesome idea!!

12. Jennifer T says:

Great idea!

13. Heidi Hutson- Vain says:

Win a gift card or not, this idea is fabulous!!! I will SO use this!!

14. Gwen Longino says:

Super great idea! I have a church picnic coming up and I will be doing this.

15. That is really cool, think I’m going to try that out for Memorial Day!

16. holly saunders says:

super great idea..ty for posting

17. Carol Markiewicz says:

This is a very “corny” idea andI love it, and it’s my birthday today, I would love to win the Starbucks gift card

18. Tiffany I. says:

My toddler LOVES corn in the cob….maybe this will keep him happy for a little while!!! :)

19. Cheryl Bryan says:

Great tip! I will be trying this out soon!

20. Amanda O says:

I want to throw a party just so I can try this!!! Sounds awesome! Kinda like the perfect boiled egg trick!!!

21. How interesting! I would have never thought.

22. Stephanie says:

That is an amazing idea! I wish I would’ve read this last summer for our family reunion!

23. Kim Anderson says:

I can’t wait to try this out. We are having our Cub Scout camping in June and can’t wait to share this with everyone! What a great tip! Thanks and God Bless you!

24. Good luck Kim! This is a perfect tip for camping!

25. There’s always next reunion!

26. You totally should throw a party! Memorial Day would be perfect for it!

27. Kim Shumway says:

I’m curious, do you drain the water after the thirty minutes cook time? Thanks!

28. Jhanell says:

Corn on the cob is one of my favorite summer time foods. I organized a BBQ for mother’s day and this would have been perfect to test out. Will have to try for Memorial Day Weekend.

Thanks

29. Good luck!!

30. I would drain the water so the corn doesn’t get soggy.

31. Hey Emily, I was just wondering, does the water in the cooler have to be covering the corn? If Im cooking a lot of ears of corn, it seems I may need a couple more than 2 kettles of water. But just wanted to check…
    Thanks for your help :-)

32. I don’t believe we had our corn completely covered. We did go out and turn the corn on top, partway through. I don’t know if that is necessary, but it’s what we did to ensure cooking. I think the cooler kind of steams the corn.

33. Margarita says:

Great idea! I’m gonna try it for our annual family beach party. Prepare it at home and add a stick of butter to the water. By the time I drive down to the beach they should be ready to eat. I’ll also take the powered cheese and chili a-la mexican style.

34. That sounds fabulous!!

35. Here’s a commercial for coolercorn!

36. Here is a ‘commercial’ for coolercorn!

37. Just wondering if this safe. Some plastics release chemicals when heated, which would then leach into the corn. I would be very cautious about using any product in so different a manner than it was intended.

38. I did some calling around and some research and found that this brand does say this is safe.

39. I have never tried this, but have been wanting to. I heard you can do the samething with potatoes (baked) and other veggies.

40. Do I need 2 coolers if I’m doing 6 dozen (72) ears?

41. It depends on the size of your cooler but I would venture to say yes.

42. Eliza Gohde says:

Thank you so much. We are going to us this for my Mom’s 75th birthday bash.

43. How fun! Enjoy!

44. Any way you could use frozen corn?

45. I would imagine you can, but the cooking time might be different.